Wednesday 1 February 2017

Quick NOTW: Punny Avocado Nails

Hello friends! It's been a while since I've last updated my blog, but I've settled back into a routine and I am ready for another year of posts. With Valentine's day drawing near, I wanted to do a cute and punny design (because I live for cute puns). For some reason, when I sat down at my desk today, the only thing that came to my mind was avocados. I absolutely love avocados, they make me so happy. I could probably eat avocado toast every day for the rest of my life! I somehow managed to fit two puns onto my hand this time, and let me tell you, the lettering was quite a challenge for me. I have no idea of what came over me when I decided to put the phrase with more letters on to my smallest nail, but it turned out alright... I think.
I'm very excited to share these pictures with the world! For Christmas, my boyfriend and I decided to make gifts for one another this year. I wrote him a box of "open when..." letters and he built me a lightbox (& his gift totally trumps mine)! It's so lovely and my pictures are turning out beautifully, but I'm still getting the hang of using it. My pictures are so much more clear. I guess I also have to start paying more attention to details now too, oh boy.

Keep reading for some tips and tricks on how to create these nails....

  • For the 'cado nails:
    • Start off with a white base color (Essie's Coconut Cove)
    • Using a thin brush and some dark-green/black acrylic paint, create the outline for the avocado(s)
    • Using a medium-light green acrylic paint, fill in the avocado(s)
    • Using a slightly lighter shade of green, draw a thick ring in the middle of the avocado(s)
    • Now, using a light yellow-green color, fill in the ring you've just created; after this step, the avocado should look like a gradient (with the middle having the lightest color)
    • Add a pit to the centre of one half of the avocado using brown acrylic paint
    • For the other half of the avocado, use green acrylic paint to create the hollowed out part that fits the pit
    • Add some arms and faces using a thin brush and black acrylic paint
  • For the lettering:
    • Use a green base color (Ciate's Ditch the Heels)
    • Using your thinnest brush, and yellow acrylic paint (slightly diluted with water, not too much though), draw/write your phrase in
    • I separated "avocuddle" into two lines so that it would fit better on the nail
    • If you spaces does get messed up and leaves you with a lot of negative space, you can fill that space with some hearts
    • Remember to clean your brush frequently so that it can remain thin and precise!
    • If your nails are short, you can try separating the phrase onto 2 nails instead!
  • Remember to finish off your design with a top coat to smooth it out and seal in the acrylic paint
...and it's as simple as that




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: